Amazon

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Let's be fit-trendy...mason jar salads

Fit-trendy...

Can we make this happen?  I define this as a person who is fit (or trying to be) and following the current fitness trends.  Such as MASON JAR SALADS!

I'll admit, I didn't jump on the band wagon for a while because my salad was perfectly fine in my Rubbermaid containers, but it wasn't.  Little known fact about me, I LOVE *triple hearts emoji* cucumbers.  And what's not to love?  They are like 95% water and therefore hydrate you.  But the problem with loving cucumbers is that they get soggy if not eaten directly after being sliced.  So my problem was that they would get soggy all over my other salad fixins.  Ugh.

So I decided to jump on the mason jar salad bandwagon hoping this would solve my soggy issues.

When I was student teaching, the school I was at used to have a salad and sandwich lunch that I loved to get.  Taking inspiration from there, I decided to make a spinach salad with bacon, feta cheese, a hard boiled eggs, and of course, cucumber.  Note:the school used mozzarella, but I decided to fancy it up a bit.

I did the cooking of the eggs and bacon and got the rest of the fixins ready.  In the end, I decided to put my cucumber on the bottom.  I figured this would keep it from soggying up the rest of the salad.  I layered it in this order: cucumber, hard boiled egg, some spinach, feta, then topped it with more spinach.  

I was delightfully rewarded that when I ate my salad that day and the next (I made 2 to save time on lunch preparation), it was not soggy or wet!  The cucumbers had emitted some juices, but it was fine.

So, behold mason jar salad.  The possibilities are endless.  Jump on the train and become fit-trendy!



And here's a cute, sleepy baby for good measure.




Olivia Makes A Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.  If you choose to purchase an item from one of my Amazon link, I will receive a very small compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog AND comment! I will do my best to respond to you in a timely manner!