Amazon

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Chicken Picca What?


As I mentioned in my first post, my current full time substitute teaching gig is in Home Ec, so school is an adventure every day.  Just last week I had 50 students making breakfast in less than 2 hours.  How tough am I?

Well, one really fun part of Home Ec is naturally the cooking.  I am getting the opportunity to try some new recipes that I've never made and some that I've never heard of.  Enter chicken piccata.

Now I thought I had never heard of it, but I saw on Instagram the other day that the Cheesecake Factory offers it on their menu, so I must've just overlooked it.  I probably moved on since I wasn't sure how to pronounce it.  However, I am not too proud to point to something in the menu for my server.  Some names are hard.  Been to Olive Garden lately?  Gnochi=no-key.  Yeah, I'll just point.

So I've been making recipes at home if I am not too familiar with them.  Last week I decided to try out the chicken piccata before I made it for the kids in school.  Good thing I did...

Chicken piccata is simple enough.  Pound your chicken, dredge, pan fry, then make a lemon sauce for on it.  Not too hard.

So I pounded, dredged, pan fried, and began making the sauce.  Ok, sauce is putting it nicely.  All the recipe said to do was put 1/4 cup lemon juice in the pan and scrape up the bits.  I did this.  1/4 cup doesn't give you a lot of sauce, but I poured it over the chicken none the less.  Then we tasted.

It was terrible.  It was actually quite good if you are in to your food being super tart.

I was kind of confused.  The teacher I'm in for told me the kids usually love this recipe, but I wasn't quite sure based on what I made for lunch that day, so I did some research.

I started researching, Pinterest of course.  I looked at several different recipes until it finally clicked.  Chicken piccata uses chicken broth to help make the sauce.  Viola, the secret missing ingredient.

So the next day I had to demonstrate making chicken piccata in 2 classes.  I used the same recipe but added in 1 cup of chicken broth.  It was deelish!  I can see why the students usually like it.



Picture is courtesy of one of my students!
(This is missing the sauce since we were storing it until the next day.)

So without further adieu, here's the recipe (the good one):


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog AND comment! I will do my best to respond to you in a timely manner!